A woman was burnt alive when she tried to stop her husband setting fire to their home with their children inside.
Husband Prum Tam started the blaze because he thought his wife Loas Sreyne was having an affair with a Facebook friend.
The 37-year-old is critically ill in hospital while his 32-year-old wife died from her injuries after he poured petrol on their house in the Trapeang Sab commune of Bati district, in southern Cambodia’s Takeo Province, and set it alight.
Ms Sreyne reportedly tried to grab the can of petrol from him but it splashed on her as they struggled and she was set alight, suffering horrific burns all over her body.
She was taken by neighbours to a nearby hospital, where her body was completely wrapped in bandages, but she later died despite doctors’ efforts to save her.
Tam, an elephant keeper at Cambodia’s biggest zoo, the Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre, tried to cut his own throat with a machete and was found unconscious but still alive.
He was taken by cops to hospital where doctors describe his condition as critical. The couple had two young sons who were rescued from their blazing home by neighbours.
Captain Chan Sokchea, the local deputy police chief, said Tam believed his wife was having an affair with a Facebook friend and they had been meeting up for sex in the provincial capital city of Doun Kaev.
Captain Sokchea said Tam had beaten his wife earlier that day over the allegations and she had demanded a divorce but he had refused.
Tam, described as a jealous man who rowed with his wife whenever he saw her talking to other men, instead grabbed a can of petrol and poured it around the marital home before setting it alight.
Captain Sokchea said: “He was angry with the wife for having a love affair with another man and also for asking for a divorce.
“While he was setting fire to the house, the victim snatched the bottle of gasoline from him, some of which splashed on her and set her ablaze.”
Tam faces a murder charge and up to 15 years in jail if he recovers from his injuries and is convicted.
But district deputy police chief Major Khun Lo said: “He is in intensive care because he suffered a serious injury. His chances of survival are low.”