A teenage boy “exploded” and died after suffering 80 per cent skin burns from a horrific electric shock when he climbed onto a freight train “to impress his watching girlfriend”.
Russian police are checking if Oleg Khoroshaev, 13, was taking a selfie during the stunt when he struck the overhead power cables carrying 27,500 volts.
A report said he was “posing in front of his girlfriend and suffered an electric shock before her very eyes”.
A deeply distressing video was released of the boy writhing and crying in agony after he fell off the side of the carriage by the devastating shock, as police warned children about the “dire threats” from playing near railway tracks.
Adults rushed to help the boy and called an ambulance.
A female witness said group of boys and the girl had been walking beside the railway in Karasuk town, Novosibirsk region where there was a stationary cargo train.
“Oleg said that he wanted to climb a carriage and another boy planned to follow him, asking ‘How does it feel up there?’” she said.
“Suddenly there was an explosion on top of the carriage.
“Everybody instinctively turned their heads away but when they looked up again they saw a large black mark on Oleg’s chest and then he caught fire.”
Another witness said: “Even adult men were in tears when they saw him.”
The boy was rushed to hospital and doctors battled to save his life, but his death was confirmed three days after the incident by Western Siberian transport prosectors.
“The child has passed away,” they said in a statement.
A criminal case may be opened into the fatality.
State investigators are quizzing the boy’s friends and witnesses.
One friend denied that the boy was taking a selfie but admitted he had his phone with him.
Investigators said they were examining “all versions”.
Police said the boy had not been in trouble previously and have warned children and their parents of the acute dangers of playing near rail tracks.